By Robert D. Thomas
Pasadena Star-News/San Gabriel Valley Tribune/Whittier Daily News
The Pasadena Master Chorale will offer five concerts during its 2012-2013 season, including a reprise of last season’s performance of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 and the start of a two-part project entitled “The Voice of America.”
Artistic Director Jeffrey Bernstein will lead all seven performances, beginning with “Songs of the World” on Sept. 30 at 4 p.m. at Altadena Community Church. This reprise of a popular program from earlier seasons will include folk songs from the U.S., Scotland and Japan.
Other programs include:
• Baroque Christmas — Dec. 15 at 7:30 p.m., First Congregational Church, Pasadena
The Chorale will be joined by an orchestra for this holiday program. The first half will feature Part I of Handel’s Messiah. After intermission comes Claudio Monteverdi’s rarely performed Magnificat.
• Beethoven’s Ninth — Jan. 15 at 7:30 p.m., San Gabriel Mission Playhouse
Last January, PMC teamed up with Los Angeles Daiku for Beethoven’s final symphony, a tradition on New Year’s Eve in Japan. This year, singers from Japan will join the PMC and instrumentalists for a repeat performance in San Gabriel.
• Rachmaninoff: All-Night Vigil — March 23 at 7:30 p.m., First Congregational Church, Pasadena. March 13 at 4 p.m., Altadena Community Church.
No, this performance won’t last all night (just an hour) although it was written in 1915 to be performed at a Russian Orthodox Church All-Night Vigil service. The Chorale will record Rachmaninoff’s work before the concerts, so the singers should be right on their game for the performances.
• The Voice of America — May 17 at 7:30 p.m., First Congregational Church, Pasadena. March 19 at 4 p.m., Altadena Community Church.
This will be the first part of a two-year project supported by a grant from the LA County Arts Commission. The program will feature composers who Bernstein believes have defined the “American” choral sound: Randall Thompson, Aaron Copland and Leonard Bernstein. In 2014 PMC will present the second concert in the series “The Voice of California.”
• Information: www.pasadenamasterchorale.org
Other season previews:
• Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra HERE
• The Colburn Orchestra HERE
• Pacific Symphony HERE
(c) Copyright 2012, Robert D. Thomas. All rights reserved. Portions may be quoted with attribution.
"Berkeley Rep scrutinized InstantEncore and the competition. We opted for IE and have no regrets. Designing our mobile site and app was affordable, collaborative, and on-time. We launched both, and we love them. We can’t wait to see what they do for the Theatre."