Pianist Mari Kodama
This CD is scheduled for release on 16 April 2012. It contains one of my all – time favorite sonatas: The sonata Op. 110 by Beethoven. Actually, all three of these last piano sonatas are truly amazing. The third movement of the Op. 109 carries a wonderful title: “Gesangvoll, mit innigster Empfindung”, meaning: “In a singing style, with most deeply – felt expression”.
What more could the composer say in terms of instruction to the performer? The traditional Italian movement titles convey the composer’s instructions, as well: “Andante molto cantabile ed espressivo”; meaning: In a slow tempo, very singable, and expressive.
I found Ms. Kodama’s playing to be wonderful. For me, her key attribute is her ability to produce a very singing style, (as requested by the composer), with a very, very light touch of the piano keys, which helps to produce the “innigster Empfindung” required by this music.
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 30-32
Performed by Mari Kodama (piano)
This release is the latest addition to the complete Beethoven piano sonatas cycle by Ms. Kodama. Her previous releases in this series have been well received.
Gramophone magazine wrote: “Never bearing down on heavily on the music, she always allows Beethoven his own voice.”
The tracks on this CD are:
1. Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109: I. Vivace ma non troppo
2. Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109: II. Prestissimo
3. Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109: III. Gesangvoll, mit innigster Empfindung: Andante molto cantabile ed espressivo
4. Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110: I. Moderato cantabile molto espressivo
5. Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110: II. Allegro molto
6. Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110: III. Adagio ma non troppo -
7. Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110: III. Fuga: Allegro ma non troppo
8. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111: I. Maestoso – Allegro con brio ed appassionato
9. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111: II. Arietta: Adagio molto semplice e cantabile
Here is Ms. Kodama, playing Beethoven, and playing it very beautifully, indeed!
Tags: Mari Kodama, pianist, Beethoven sonatas
"These days having a mobile presence is a must, and InstantEncore delivers powerful apps that are incredibly easy to manage."