Martin Kettle's pick of the great baritone's recorded output
1. Schutz ariasReissued from 1950s in 2009, these are compelling recordings of what was then quite obscure repertoire. The young Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's voice is in glorious condition.
2. Bach Ich habe genug Conducted here by Karl Ristenpart, Bach's cantata on death is one of Fischer-Dieskau's classic recordings of a composer in whose music he excelled.
3. Wagner Tristan und IsoldeThe young Fischer-Dieskau as Kurwenal on the classic 1950s Furtwängler (the singer's favourite conductor) recording. Fischer-Dieskau's early Wagner recordings are all outstanding.
4. Schubert Die Schöne MullerinThis list could contain any or all of Fischer-Dieskau's many recordings of the Schubert song cycles. His recordings with Gerald Moore were the ones that set new standards.
5. Britten War ReqiuemBritten wrote the baritone role for Fischer-Dieskau. Fifty years on, his recording is definitively moving.
6. Schubert Nacht und TräumeMy Desert Island Disc Fischer-Dieskau recording of any Schubert song. Listen to the incredible vocal mastery.
7. Schumann DichterliebeStill the authoritative recorded version of the best Schumann song cycle of them all.
8. Brahms Ein Deutches RequiemFischer-Dieskau is the baritone soloist in the great Klemperer recording.
9. Le Nozze di Figaro In the Karl Böhm recording of Mozart's opera, Fischer-Dieskau gives one of his most compelling operatic characterisations as the Count.
10. Henze The Raft of the MedusaIn Henze's highly dramatic oratorio Fischer-Dieskau holds the whole work together.
11. Mahler Das Lied von der ErdeFischer-Dieskau's singing of the Abschied (farewell) - normally sung by a mezzo - is a revelation in this famous Vienna recording under Leonard Bernstein.
12. Strauss KrämerspiegelFischer-Dieskau was one of the greatest of all Strauss singers. His Mandryka with Lisa Della Casa as Arabella is a classic opera recording. But try the less well known Krämerspiegel repertoire which he made his own.
"Our DSO to Go app has not only helped our live webcasts reach tremendous success around the globe, but has been an accessible sales channel for many first-time concertgoers without prior ticket or contribution history."